We want more Straubs Market history!
Do you have photographs, documents or stories to share?
Location: 8282 Forsyth Boulevard
Clayton, MO 63105
Source: Internet search
...Click on image below to view slideshow...
In October of 1901, William A. Straub opened the first Straub's store in the Webster Groves community of St. Louis, Missouri. Those were the days of horse and buggy delivery, and Mr. Straub standing at the front door to personally welcome each customer. Specializing in meat and dry goods, it didn't take long for the store to gain a reputation as the place to go for unusual and better products.
Moving to larger quarters in 1926, Straub's continued to feature USDA Prime beef and expand its offerings. Customers learned to request items they had seen or heard about while traveling. For example, grasshoppers and ants coated in chocolate were the rage in the 1920s - and Straub's carried them. This store moved one final time in 1960, to its current location.
The next community to have a Straub's was Clayton, opening in 1933. Here, the corporate offices were established and remain today. The Clayton store existed at one time at 10 S. Bemiston Avenue. This store would have two more moves, before settling into its current location in 1948.
Also in 1948, the Central West End location opened. This store is situated across from the elegant Chase Park Plaza. It is a fixture in a lively city neighborhood adjacent to Forest Park.
The Town & Country store opened in its current location in 1966. This area of St. Louis County was once vast farm land, but has been the focus of population shift and growth.
Today, Straub's Markets is an award winning retailer that continues to be owned and operated by the third and fourth generation, Jack W. Straub, Jr. and his son, J.W. "Trip" Straub, III.