We want more Clayton Police Department history!
Do you have photographs, documents or stories to share?
History of Clayton Police Department
Location: 227 S. Central Avenue
Clayton, MO 63105
Source: City of Clayton Official Website
Law enforcement services were provided by a Marshal during the City's early years, but in 1920, the Marshal system was changed to a Police Department. Beginning with one full-time officer, the department has mirrored the City's growth and now consists of fifty-two commissioned officers and fourteen civilian employees. Of particular note is the fact that the Police Department has only had five Chiefs of Police to date.
Long recognized as a leader among municipal police agencies in St. Louis County, the Clayton Police Department has consistently endeavored to ensure the quality of its personnel, and has historically fielded one of the best-educated, highly trained and most respected police forces in the metropolitan region. In keeping with its tradition as a leader, in the year 2000, the Department was among the first law enforcement agencies in the State of Missouri to successfully achieve accreditation through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).