We want more Clayton Park histories!

Do you have photographs, documents or stories to share?

Contact us!






History of Clayton Parks

Alphabetical Index
Clayshire Park, Clayton MO
623 Francis Place

Clayshire Park is located in the Clayshire Neighborhood at the southwestern edge of the City of Clayton. This 1/8 acre park is a level, passive space with trees and flowering shrubs. Benches are available for you to take a break.
History details and map



Concordia Park, Clayton MO
801 DeMun Avenue

Concordia Park is located in the DeMun Neighborhood on the grounds of Concordia Seminary. The City of Clayton has leased this passive 1.5-acre park from Concordia Seminary since 1972. With gentle rolling hills, open grassy areas, and a canopy of mature trees this park is a lovely place to enjoy nature while sitting at one of the benches or picnic tables provided for visitors.
History details and map



DeMun Park, Clayton MO
810 DeMun Avenue

DeMun Park, located at the corner of Southwood and DeMun, in the business district of the Demun Neighborhood is a neighborhood play area. There are 2 playgrounds available, one for toddlers and the other for older children. A low iron fence with a gate to keep the youngsters safe from traffic surrounds this 1/2-acre, level space. The winding walk around the central raised garden is a great path for little ones to ride their cycles. Benches provide an area for parents to talk while keeping an eye on their children. Large trees keep the park dappled in shade, while the colorful garden delights with seasonal interest.
History details and map



Hanley Park, Clayton MO
7600 Westmoreland

Hanley Park contains the Historic Martin Franklin Hanley House which stands as a window to our past illuminating the many people that lived and died within the once young St. Louis County community.

Brief History - Constructed by Martin F. Hanley in 1855, this Greek revival farmstead is typical of architecture of its day but its inhabitants were far from ordinary. Today the home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and it is the oldest structure in the City of Clayton. The Historic Hanley House remains relatively untouched by modern life and together with the surviving Hanley family letters, the history of nineteenth century rural Missouri comes to life within its walls.
Additional Information and Map
Historic Hanley House
Hanley Family History



Henry Wright Park, Clayton MO
6424 Alamo Avenue

Henry Wright Park (formerly known as Alamo Park) is located in the 6400 block of Alamo Avenue in the DeMun Neighborhood in the eastern portion of the City of Clayton. Tucked between residences this 1/8 acre oasis contains shade gardens on either side of a flagstone path. The sunny, inner circle has benches surrounded by flowering shrubs and brightly colored flowers that are changed seasonally.
History details and map
Park Dedication (Clayton City Reviews Newsletter)



Oak Knoll Park, Clayton MO
1 Oak Knoll Park

Oak Knoll Park is located north of Clayton Road and west of Big Bend Boulevard. It is the second largest park with the City limits comprised of 14.5 acres. It includes primarily passive activities. The park environment comprises mostly canopy tree and lawn areas with gently rolling topography. Oak Knoll Park includes several stone mansions, the first of which houses the Clayton Child Center. The Second houses the St. Louis Artist Guild exhibits. Other structures include a maintenance building with an attached green house.

Brief History - Charles M. Rice, a lawyer, built the first house on Oak Knoll property in 1914. His house was designed by the St. Louis firm of LaBeaume and Klein. The building permit put the cost at $30,000. In 1921, Alvin D. Goldman, president of Lessor-Goldman Cotton Co., obtained a building permit for $60,000 for the second house on Oak Knoll. This house, designed by the firm of Jamieson & Spearl of St. Louis, complemented the Rice home in scale and style. It was no coincidence that the Goldmans built next to the Rice's. Mrs. Charles Rice was the former May Goldman, Alvin Goldman’s sister.

The relatives of the Rice and Goldman families lived at 1 and 2 Oak Knoll Park until 1958, following A. D. Goldman’s death. The families considered an offer to rezone the 21 acres of Oak Knoll Park as a site for about 10 houses, but Roy Jordan, then chairman of the Clayton City Planning Commission, intervened and convinced them to make it a park.

The city of Clayton bought the land for $300,000 and made the houses available for the Museum of Science and Natural History Museum. The museum and its dinosaurs occupied Oak Knoll Park from 1962 through 1985 before moving to Oakland Avenue as the St. Louis Science Center.
History details and map
'Oak Knoll Park...a closer look at its distant past' by James W. Sherby
Park History
Walking or Jogging Map
Map of St. Louis Artists' Guild
St. Louis Artists' Guild and Galleries Website



Shaw Park, Clayton MO
27 S. Brentwood Boulevard

Shaw Park is located along Brentwood Blvd., just north of Forest Park Parkway, near the heart of Clayton's bustling business district.

Brief History - Shaw Park is the city’s oldest and largest park. Mayor Charles Shaw first established this 47.47 acre park in 1935. With a welcoming canopy of majestic trees and open grass areas, as well as lovely gardens, Shaw Park offers a respite from the bustle of the city. Shaw Park is also host to several special events through out the year, The Taste of Clayton, The St. Louis Jazz Festival, and in the summer, monthly Parties in the Park.

Shaw Park is home to the newly renovated outdoor Aquatic Center, which includes a 50-meter competition pool, as well as a diving pool, and a splash and play pool for young children. It also has one of the few remaining outdoor Ice-Skating Rinks in the area. Other amenities include 10 Tennis Courts, 10 ball fields, 3 playgrounds, and 2 Sand Volleyball Courts. Picnic facilities include "The Corporate Tent", a covered picnic site which can accommodate up to 180 guests, 2 picnic shelters, the North Shelter and the South Shelter, with rest room facilities and 16 paved picnic areas with tables, including 5 large pads with BBQs that can be reserved. Walking paths wind through the park and numerous benches provide places to stop and savor nature.
History details and map
Shaw Park Map
Shaw Park Walking or Jogging Map



Taylor Park, Clayton MO
220 N. Central Avenue

Taylor Park is a 1 acre park and is located in the Old Town Neighborhood, at the northern city limits of Clayton.

Brief History - On the grounds of Taylor Park once stood the honored Taylor School, an institution that formed the minds of boys for over 40 years. Founder of the school, Edgar Curtis Taylor, served as headmaster throughout the life of the institution that bore his name.

As a faculty member of Washington University, Edgar C. Taylor saw a need for a small private school for boys that would parallel the curricula of Eastern preparatory schools. In 1930, Edgar C. Taylor established the Taylor School in a home on North Central Avenue. At its maximum capacity, the school held 50 students ranging from sixth graders to seniors and for individualized instruction, classes were limited to four or five students per class. The school believed that intellectual integrity was productive of honest thinking.

World War II greatly affected the faculty, students, and alumni of the Taylor School. Many students fought in the war and unfortunately, some did not return home. As a tribute to those that served, the students gifted a memorial flagpole to the school. The base of that flagpole still stands in the northwest corner of Taylor Park to honor the memory of those boys.

Upon his retirement as headmaster in 1971, Edgar Curtis Taylor closed the Taylor School. In 1976, the City of Clayton purchased the property, demolished the school building, and dedicated Taylor Park.

On the Central Avenue side, gardens with seasonal color welcome visitors to the park. A circular sidewalk flanked by benches leads to a charming Gazebo and a large playground for pre-schoolers. The soldier's memorial is surrounded by a delightful garden that attracts butterflies and hummingbirds is at the northwest corner of the walk. To the east there is a level, open area to play in, lovely shade gardens, and picnic tables under a canopy of large Oaks where visitors can enjoy their lunch.
History details and map
Taylor Park gazebo renovation photos
Taylor Park gazebo dedication photos



Whitburn Park, Clayton MO
Get Directions

Whitburn Park is located in the Clayshire Neighborhood at the southwestern edge of the City of Clayton. This 1/8 acre park is a level, passive space with mature trees and flowering shrubs. A table is available for a picnic in the shade, as well as benches for you to take a break.
History details and map



Wydown Park, Clayton MO
7619 Wydown Boulevard

Wydown Park is located just east of Hanley Road on Wydown Boulevard, in the Wydown Business District, Wydown Park is a unique urban space. Completely renovated in 2002, this park offers visitors a diversity of experiences. The brick column entry to the park is flanked by seasonal gardens welcoming visitors to an open patio area with cafe style tables & chairs. Patrons from Starbucks enjoy their morning coffee in the tranquil setting of the park. There is a winding sidewalk through the cozy .5-acre level parcel. The outside of the walk on the north and east is bordered by a stone walled garden containing a diversity of flowering shrubs, continual blooming perennials, flowering trees and annual flowers that are changed seasonally. Shrubs and trees that provide shade to the wrought iron benches that are placed to allow areas for conversation border the western side. The open grassy area in the center is a space for children to run and play. The open area also contains the stone sculpture "Youth" by sculptor Todd Frahm. The Clayton Arts Commission with support from the Clayton Parks Foundation commissioned the sculpture and donated it to the park. Vine-covered pergolas with wooden benches are located at the northwest and southeast corners of the walkway. A number of flowering containers highlight the park with seasonal color.
History details and map